Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The Moody Blues

The Moody Blues

Last week, July 6th, Mary and I drove to Canandaigua, NY, checked into the Canandaigua Inn on the Lake, and walked to the Finger Lakes Performing Arts Center. When we first heard the advertisement that they were coming, Mary didn’t know her work schedule, so we couldn’t make definite plans. But, the week before, we both had listened to the radio advertisements, and with her new schedule in place, we said – “Let’s do it!”

Checking into the Inn was a necessary ingredient to the trip since I don’t believe in drinking and driving. In order to relax appropriately, I find it necessary to enjoy a pleasant beverage before and during the concert. After checking into the Inn, the front desk attendant said that it was just a 5 or 10 minute walk to the concert. Well, 20 minutes into the walk, I started to get nervous, when you’re driving and you don’t know where you are going, you can make up time, but when you’re walking! Oh, man. . Mary wore sandals, and she was quickly developing blisters. Well, about 55 minutes later we arrived at the gates to the Performing Arts Center. Since we were in the Finger Lakes wine region, I decided to check the beverages. When I found they had Brickstone Cellars Chardonnay for $19 bottle, I gave the girl a $20 and we were off and running to our seats.

Twenty years ago, I wondered what all of these rock n’ roll guys would be doing years later. Now I know. They’re doing the same thing (although they don’t run around stage like they used to). The Moody Blues voices are still excellent. They put on a wonderful concert … even though I never cared too much for “Nights in White Satin” … as a live performance it was outstanding.

We were both extremely impressed with the Canandaigua Inn on the Lake. Pleasant service (except the kid at the front door has no clue how far the FLPAC is from the hotel), located right on the shores of the lake, a beautiful restaurant, excellent breakfast and the hotel is nicely decorated with original art work. We’ll definitely be back (in fact I already gave them a nice write-up on the Internet travel site, and I’ve booked them for a group wine tour in September). The town of Canandaigua is also pleasant, inviting, charming, and quaint. I can’t wait to go back.

Meanwhile, in London, terrorists strike. The happenings in London are in such stark contrast to my Moody Blues vacation getaway, but, I thought I would mention it, sketch a quick representation, and think about the events for another days’ blogging. Like 60’s rock n’ roll – “Peace man.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home