Monday, June 20, 2005

Our Pond: The WaterGarden and our trip


We put a watergarden in our backyard a few years ago. It was much more work than anticipated, both the planning, building (done expertly by Menne Nursery, eventually), and the personal buildup of plantings both inside and outside (mostly by Mary), maintenance, cleaning, etc. First View of the watergarden, and the 2nd View.

Recently, when we were traveling to my conference in San Diego, we had a neighborhood lad take care of the pond while we were gone. His job was to feed the fish, clean the filters, and watch the water level (in times of heat and sun, we'll lose some water to evaporation, so he'd fill it up if necessary). Well, after writing up detailed instructions, everything looked all set, ... but, ... the morning before we leave, ... the waterfall shuts down! Darn. When the waterfall shuts down it's typically because the filters are clogged, which means I let them go too long before cleaning.

This time I checked the filters. They were fine. Hmm. Next, I checked to make sure the pump was getting electricity, so I went in the basement and checked the circuit breakers. Fine.

Hmm. What could it be? What would cause the pump to shut down like that? Great. The day before we leave. Now what? ....

Well, the only other thing I could think of was ... maybe, just maybe something got caught in the pond pump intake. So, I reached down and pulled the pump up. This is what I found.

No kidding. And check this out. Biggest one I ever saw. Man! In the spring you should see what I pull out. But that's another story.

Check back later,

- Ed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home