Wednesday, June 01, 2005

My Great Aunt Ena

Earlier this year my Great Aunt Ena, who came to America about 50 years ago from Ireland when she was in her 40's (so she still has her Irish accent), was coming home from the hairdressers, opening the door to her apartment building, when she slipped on ice and snow and fell backwards ... just barely missing the hard, concrete sidewalk, and somewhat gently landed on a somewhat softer snowbank behind her. She braced her fall with her right hand, and somehow came out ok ... but wow, what a black and blue hand, wrist and arm! She really took a fall!
So, when Mary and I went to visit with her, we called ahead of time and asked if we could bring anything. The first thing she wanted was a litre of Canadian Club Whiskey. She likes to take a drink before her dinner every evening, and it's hard for her to get out of the apartment as much as she used to, so we were glad to stop off at the liquor store on the way for our visit. We also stopped at the drug store and bought her a wrist splint, so she could immobilize the wrist and hand as much as possible.
Well, we had a nice visit, we had our 2 drinks (Canadian High balls: Canada Dry Ginger Ale, Canadian Club, ice). We were amazed at how bad her arm looked, very black and blue, but otherwise she was in good shape.
About 2 months later, when we were back in town, I called Aunt Ena prior to our visit and I once again asked her if there was anything that we could bring. She said, "yes, could you pick me up a litre of Canadian Club?" I thought, wow, Aunt Ena is getting forgetfull. I was a little concerned. How could she forget that we had just seen her and brought her a bottle? When I told her we were just there, she said, "well, I've used it up already." So, we stopped at the liquor store, but this time we bought the big 2 litre, it was on-sale anyway.
A number of months have passed by now, and it's once again time for a visit back home. We called Aunt Ena on the phone from Buffalo. She's been feeling tired lately and she wasn't sure if she would be able to make it over to my Mom and Dad's this month to celebrate the birthdays. She seemed a little down, which for my Aunt Ena, is quite alarming. This is because, of all the people I have ever known, only Aunt Ena keeps the best attitude about everything and acts as excited and enthusiatic as a kid. When you meet her, you are struck by the fact that she is just "jumping out of her skin" with enthusiasm, warmth and good will. I always walk away from our visits as a new and re-energized soul. So, when she seemed a little down for this last phone call, I was a little concerned about her. Thankfully, at the end of the call, she added - "If you do stop by and visit me, could you please stop at the liquor store and pick me up a litre of Canadian Club?" I was happy.
Now, Mom and Dad called me today to wish me a happy birthday (I did say this was the birthday time in my family). At the end of the call my Mom added, - "Oh, by the way, Aunt Ena mentioned that she might come over for dinner after all!" Yes! ... I am so pleased. Every chance you get to spend with Aunt Ena is a blessing. You always walk away inspired, laughing, and just altered in many deep ways. It's like a great attitude adjustment. Just spend some time with her and you can't help be transformed by her enthusiasm for life.
Maybe that's why she's been able to stay so healthy for so long, I don't really know. But, I'll pick up the 2 litre Canadian Club Whiskey on my way to pick her up again. I'll have a big smile on my face when I greet her, and an even bigger one while we visit. I will be content for many days after too. It's great to hang out with Great Aunt Ena, talking, drinking whiskey, and celebrating her 99th birthday.

Next, I'll have more to say about other members of my family. I'm looking forward to the next visit, and also to seeing my Mom, Dad, Aunt Martha, and my cousins. I'll have to wait a little longer to see my sister Diane and her husband Mac.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home