Monday, December 12, 2005

The Experiment, I think, is over



Well, I've tried this blog for a little while now. It's kind of a cool idea. Blogs have a lot of possibility. The initial idea was to keep in touch with friends and family, especially those out of town.

I think I'll end it with a nice little print/lino-cut from Mom. It's a bit of an exaggeration to say that my Mom was deaf or close to deaf. But, her hearing was sooo bad, she wore hearing aids for decades and had to learn to read lips. (She would have been very valuable at parties, like Jerry Seinfeld's girlfriend from one episode).

I used to joke that I grew up in the "Shout Family." (I imagined many a Saturday night skit based on my family). Given the volume of conversations in our house, there weren't many secrets. I knew long before other kids: (1) what I was getting for Christmas, (2) where it was hidden, and (3) that Santa Claus was not a real character.

After the last of Mom's ear surgeries, I recall Mom asking - "What's that noise?!" Me - "What?" Mom - "What's that sound from outside?" Me - "Oh, it's just raining. It's rain hitting the roof." A few days later Mom produced the above linocut - "How beautiful to hear the rain."

10 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, Blogger girish said...

That was a cool story, Ed. I love that linocut.
I hope the experiment was fun for you.
I'll miss your posts.
But I can catch up with them (you) right down the hall from me!
Sayonara.

 
At 11:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ed...nice story.

I actually have the Lino Cut you posted in your last blog. It hangs in my office and everyone who comes by comments on it.

Just thought you'd like to know

Mike

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Mike.
Now, who are you? I know a few Mikes, and I can't figure out who might have Mom's linocut.

You could be someone that I don't know that happened to purchase the linocut from one of her shows, or, ...?

 
At 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know you Ed. I actually picked this up at an Antique/Collectibles Shop in Canandaigua.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, Mike, How interesting!

My Mom has been an artist since she was 35, as you can tell from the Blog, ... she is now 83 yrs old. Just spoke with her a minute ago before logging in and checking my email. Thanks for your comment, and I'm glad you've been enjoying "How Beautiful to Hear the Rain." You now have a little story with it too.

There are a number of artists in my family. My cousin recently quit his job as a photographer/artist to work full-time on art.

Also, my wife and I visited Canandaigua 2x this summer, once for a Moody Blues Concert and once for a wine country tour. Both are reported on this blog. Thanks for the comments - Ed.

 
At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Ed!

I have stubbled across a lino print of your mom's at a yard sale in Oswego New York. It is lovely, but I should like to list it on Ebay, with your permission I hope.
Some research shows me that your Moms work might be of great commercial value. The print is titled Off Shore Landing 9/100 Gloris Garrity. Do you know it?

Melissa In Syracuse

 
At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am an eBayer. I have just purchased one of your mom's prints - signed and numebered.

Email me a funart333@hotmail.com if interested. Otherwise, I will just put it up for auction. Bob

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger sharon said...

Hi Ed,
I have one of your mom's prints called " 200 year old bird" Can you tell me anything about it? Please email me at sharon7031@hotmail.com

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Sallie Bailey said...

Ed - I knew your Mom quite well - we were both members of Syracuse Printmakers. I have a copy of her print 'How Lovely to Hear The Rain - and in fact - posted a copy of it on my Facebook page - properly credited of course! http://www.facebook.com/sallieb2 I lost contact with her long ago. What happened to her and her husband?

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Yang Kuo said...

Hi Ed,
I have one of your mom's prints called

แคมฟรอก

 

Post a Comment

<< Home