Friday, December 09, 2005

High School Disappointment


When I was a kid in grade school I recall having to do some home-work projects for classes. One that stood out especially was my 3rd grade project - I made up a model/prototype of the Everson Museum of Art (Syracuse). I don't recall the exact requirements of the project, but I do remember the proud feeling I had when I brought my model into class. Other kids had rather sloppy, sketchy prototypes, loosly hung together with glue or tape, looking a bit in dis-repair and - some of them were even a little tough to figure out exactly what they were.

I remember strolling in with my model and seeing all the heads turn. The teacher exclaimed - "Wow! Did you do that all yourself?!!" After a slight pause, I had to admit, "Well, my Mom helped me a little." That was one of the perks of having a creative artist for your Mom.

Although I never realized it until much later, I even had a little bit of "indirect, local fame" from my genetic linkage. From time to time, in the course of my adolecent travels, adults would occassionally ask - "Garrity? Is your Dad the Garrity of Garrity Lumber Co?" I would have to admit we weren't the rich Garrity's. But I would also get asked - "Garrity? Are you related to Gloria Garrity?" - "That's my Mom!"

It's 1974 and I enroll in my first art class in high school. The art teacher is thrilled as I respond positively to the question. That's great! You can help us in the county HS art competition! I become a little quieter and less enthusiastic. (My sister, 7 years senior, had won a prize at the HS art competition years before).

Man, was my teacher disappointed!

Several weeks go by of expert instruction, drawing principles are explained, and practice and more practice as the class meets every day.

Perplexed, disappointed, ... it appears as though I inhereted my Dad's artisitc ability (my Dad, the terrific guy that he is, is the opposite of Mom - he's color blind and artistically impaired).

... Meanwhile, above is a painting that Mom showed at the Cooperstown National Art Exhibit, 1967. It won the Frederick A. Godley Memorial Prize.
,

4 Comments:

At 8:17 PM, Blogger Sallie Bailey said...

Hey Ed - wondering what happened to printmaker ( & watercolorist) Gloia - your MOM!

 
At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've met people with the surname Garrity and asked them the same question: "Do you know Gloria Garrity?" So far, nobody has. But I've been coming across her prints– usually in modern frames with a rough burlap mat– for 5 years now at auctions, in thrift stores, estate sales. She must've been quite prolific, yet I see no on-line biography, and nothing with cursory searching besides your 7 years old blog post.

 
At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe today i purchased one of her pieces of artwork..Its a bald eagle 200 years bold 30/ signed by her with a burlap border..Very nice piece..If you would like a picture of it i would be.more than happy to send a picture of it to you.

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Yang Kuo said...

I believe today i purchased one of her pieces of artwork..Its a bald eagle 200 years bold 30/ signed by her with a burlap border..Very nice piece..If

แคมฟรอก

 

Post a Comment

<< Home